Thursday, March 31, 2005

Filling the Void with Beer

Alas, after all of that grading and reading and writing was complete, I finally feel a short-lived void in my life (at this exact moment in time). Tis a weird experience.

On a lighter yet not so light note, many of the grad students who have presented their projects thus far (2) have passed. Not necessarily with flying colors. No, instead, with much crying, and sometimes with biting and kicking.

I don't know what to say about the whole process. I guess I was really never that excited about my project to make it subsume my entire life. . . yet I was also never really so apathetic that I treated it like a piece of crap. So, I really don't know how to sympathize with this emotional catharsis. I think I already experienced that during my awkward writing process.

. . . Which, for all practical purposes, really did help me out. I mean, I complained heavily and wept bitterly, but I've really found that I feel so much better about the project as just a paper. A dissertation then becomes just a paper. A much longer paper, but a paper nonetheless. Graduate schools, PhD programs, and my unknown career in academia don't really seem that daunting anymore.

Of course this brings about other problems that I need to deal with. . . specifically, the logistics of graduate school. I've found that I still need to figure out how I am going to move, what I am going to get rid of, and how I'm going to live without my S.O. That seems to be the worst thing thus far, yet it's really not THAT bad.

Life goes on. You get an artificial tan, and the fake UV rays seem to make the monumental clouds go away.

Just like the old philosophers used to say Q.E.D. -- aka Knock off and have a beer!

No comments: