Sunday, February 13, 2005

Lots 'o racism in really weird ways

Ok, so I live in Colorado right now, and we all know that Colorado is not the most tolerant place on earth. But come on! I just realized a large portion of my students are racist. And, as my S.O. neatly explained, not racist in any type of an original manner. They are cliche racists. Many of them explain away their racism and ignorance in catch phrases and in sentences that we've often heard stated by politicians and other public speakers. They are not even thinking about the fact that they are racist, and this scares me more than anything I've encountered before.

Perhaps they realize that I am going to be freaked out by this and are doing it intentionally. I don't know. Frankly, I'm going to say that cliched phrase, that "I am concerned about America's future" because I've been noticing this as a growing trend in incoming freshmen. Maybe it's just me living in Colorado. Maybe it's different elsewhere. . . However, after this year's election, I'm now seriously concerned that this is a growing trend that no one is stopping.

What the hell happened? Now my parents live in fear. They make sure that they have American flags and patriotic bumper stickers surrounding them in a fence of polite acquiesence. They are terrified that we may one day issue those great, 'ol concentration camps of yore in order to "help out" and "protect" minorities from others. Their paranoia is laughable to an extent, but when one of my students tells me that the only kind of racism that truly exists is lynching. . .well, let's just say I'll be putting up a few flags of my own.

1 comment:

Ellen Yu said...

My Communication teacher told us a story about one student she had. He was a white supremacist and believed the world was messed because of black people and more freedom for women.

Well, my teacher is female and black lol.

The student wrote a whole research paper on his opinion and since it was a very well done paper, she gave him an A.

In the end, the person came up to her and said "She was the nicest color person he ever met."

Teachers have to be non-biased...that's why I'm heading straight to art so I can tell off people lol.