Friday, October 21, 2005

Decemberists and Greenblatt

Yesterday was incredible. I attended a double feature of seeing a lecture by Stephen Greenblatt and then attending the awesome Decemberists concert shortly thereafter. Although I was late to the concert, I only missed about 2 songs. It was wonderful!

I was somewhat surprised to find Stephen Greenblatt a charismatic and really funny speaker. His writing has the same qualities, but I never expected to see them fully embodied in him. I guess I just assumed that he would be the oppposite of his own work (which, I know, is a silly assumption). If you ever get the opportunity to hear him speak, don't delay. . . go see him speak! The man can spin an anecdote on its heels!



I love the architectural spaces of concert venues in the midwest. Occasionally,there were some fantastic concerts in Denver's older theaters, so I can't say that this is an exclusively midwest thin (how would I know?). But, attending the Orpheum Theater was definitely cool. The inside had a full bar (this is also a movie theater, by the way), and the seating area also had a stage and large screen for films. There was also a huge balcony area where I ended up (given that I was late, I opted for opulant comfort instead of sardine can visibility). I'm no expert of architectural style, so you'll just have to look up what kind of style the Orpheum has for yourself, although I can tell you that the walls were somewhat ornate (but not the gilded kind of ornate).

The Decemberists themselves were awesome! They played better live than what I've heard on my ol' CD, and they are hysterically funny. I suspected at some point in the concert that they were pretty drunk. . . Colin Meloy forgot some of his own lyrics in the midst of belting out his songs, but that didn't stop them from having an incredibly interactive and overall kick-ass concert. One of the audience's favorite parts was near the end of the show, when hoards of them rushed the stage to dance with the band.

Definitely a great show!

No comments: