Saturday, October 01, 2005

As far as movies are concerned

In the past two days, I've seen two amazing films worth commenting on (and I'm sure that right now, many others are commenting on them simultaneously). The first movie I saw on Friday was Howl's Moving Castle. Regardless of whether you are a Miyazaki fan or not, you will leave this movie feeling giddy and irrepressably happy. I don't know what it is, but it is great! An additional plus is the contribution of Christian Bale's voice to Howl. Whoa, nelly... He can even make an animated character sexy.

The next film is Serenity, which is the darling of the web right now. I love the show Firefly. I LOVE IT. And, I can be very picky about how television shows adapt to film. With that in mind, this film is incredible. I refuse to spoil the film (which, right now, is extremely tempting), but this film takes you on an emotional rollercoaster as a Firefly fan. I cannot honestly say what other people would think and feel about the film if they weren't fans of the show, but I know that I was greatly moved.

Many people have criticized the differences between the television show universe of Firefly and the established history of the film Serenity. It's clear the reasons why Joss Whedon chose to make these changes. It's generally for the consideration of the audience members who are not Firefly fans. And I'm sure it does chafe those who are devoted to how the Firefly universe tightly functions, but given that we live with many systems of thought that have tendencies to contradict themselves, I don't see these small issues as being a problem. Regardless of them, anyone who watches Firefly will LOVE Serenity, and anyone who doesn't will probably still leave the theater with a sense of respect for those loyal Browncoats.

I left the theater feeling both broken hearted and renewed in a sense of hope. I really want Firefly to return. I really want two more films. And I really want to know more about the mysteries that remain mysteries within the great Verse.

Shiny!

No comments: