Monday, September 11, 2006

It's raining. I hadn't noticed.

Since I'm from Colorado, I am always shocked when it consistently rains for an entire day. Or an entire week, for that matter. And today was one of those days that had rain from the early morning straight through the late afternoon.

My students had to read Vol. 1 of Pride and Prejudice. Remember the scene with Elizabeth Bennet tromping across fields and neighboring backyards, only to turn up happy from exercise and dirty from tromping? Well, that would basically sum up today. I was wearing nice, grey, wide-leg trousers, a cardigan, and tank top. My shoes and the long hems of my pants were soaked and dirty, but I was excited and pink from walking to lecture. It was a living moment of literary allusion.

Did the students enjoy it? No, they were probably sulking like the Bingley sisters about coming to class in the rain as they stared in astonishment at my wet feet and pants.

No comments: