Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Grading Papers, la-la-la

I don't know why I constantly do this to myself, but I have already assigned my students short papers for the research class. I promised that they would be graded by tomorrow, but I sincerely doubt that I can get them graded in that time. Probably Friday will be the lucky day.

Why do I do this? I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I sincerely enjoy procrastination. I also feel pensive about my masters project. Yup, this will be an ongoing whine session about my pathetic abilities in writing a complicated argument, but I don't care. That's what blogs are for, right?

Anyway, I wish I could say more about my absolute frustration with many things. . . primarily on a personal and/or administrative level. However, there is an issue with Colorado in that it has defamation laws. In other words, if I bitch and complain about specific people, even if there is barely a hint as to who they are, I can be sued. It sucks. Especially now, when I am faced with a number of people that I wish I could just slam online. Hell, they probably couldn't even find me or my blog anyway. But, I can't take that chance. It's an unfortunate thing. The cathartic feelings I should be experiencing while I blog are never going to come to fruition because of these crazy laws.

I will say that everyone is a hypocrit. And you really have to watch out for those people who claim to absolutely hate hypocracy in other people. I think that everyone should be wary of specific individuals throughout their everyday experiences. Here, in fact, is a list:
  • Anyone who says that they hate hypocrits
  • Anyone who says that they are doing something for the "principle of the thing"
  • People who make snide remarks about complete strangers in public places
  • People who frequently comment on all the "good works" they've been doing for society
  • People who sound like they know what they're talking about all the time in that rather "I know what I'm talking about, and you don't" tone. Of course, there are definitely people who know what they're talking about because they are experts in their fields. But, we do seem to have an overabundance of people who act like they know what they're talking about but don't. . . They seem to frequently show up in middle management positions.
  • Anybody who seems slightly off in a bad way. There are definitely people out there who seem slightly off in a good way -- they are usually creative and fun people to hang out with. But, I'm sure we've all met people who are slightly off in a bad way. Your sixth sense has some kind of "spidey sense" moment, and you usually aren't sure why. . . yet. Go with your gut. If you see crazy coming, cross the street.
  • Anyone who is incredibly self-centered. I'm not talking about the general self-centeredness that most of us have. After all, we live in a post-Cartesian kind of culture. Instead, I'm referring to the folks that always seek the center of attention and suck your soul.
  • The poser as "sexual predator." We know these kinds of people. Guys and girls tend to elaborate on their sexual experiences, but these folks always have a "story" about something totally fucked up. You don't want to hear it, but they'll tell it to you anyway.
  • The eyebrow archer. No matter what anybody says or does, they always arch their eyebrows in that person's general direction. Occasionally, if they have a fellow eyebrow archer, they will exchange glances while you're talking. You have no idea why, which is part of their point.
  • People who enjoy compiling lists. . .

What can I say? I know I'm an absolute hypocrit. I think I do a chunk of the items I have just mentioned. But, I'm also misanthropic, so I figure it's ok to piss people off. . . I would rather not hang out with them anyway. I can tell the misanthropy kicks in after a while because I always end up hating most of the people I get to know well. It's terrible. I've given up working on my horrific personality because I figure I'm still ahead of the rest of the people I know. . . who basically suck beyond total comparison. Hehe.

1 comment:

Ellen Yu said...

Hypocrites remind me of the word hippo for no specific reason other than I like hippos.

Thanks for posting in my blog. Let insanity live on!