Thursday, June 15, 2006

When you work on the weekends, you forget what day it is

So, this past week or two (I honestly have no concept of time any more) I've been working some extra classes because my fellow posse-people have been ill. This job has been so detrimental to the health of so many of us. Knock on wood that I don't get sick in the next 10 weeks. That seriously make me angry.

My friends and I from UNC did get into the MAPACA's conference on Popular Culture. We will be on a panel called "After Altamont: The Contemporary Rock Film Genre." I was attempting to be cool and witty, punning off of the Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter and the many interests in deMan-ish "After Auschwitz" courses in recent lit studies stuff. I'm hoping to make my title-creating into a new career. . . and of course, I'm only kidding about that last part. At any rate, we will be living it up for a weekend in Baltimore! I'm now hunting down a possible lift from Ivan. . . please???

I'm trying to revise one of my seminar papers into something a bit more cohesive. It's on Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and I've decided to focus my topic more on the issues surrounding invasions in the pastoral space. I think I'm going to call it "Space Invaders," which will probably give the paper a more sci-fi feel. Although, I whole-heartedly object to dubbing all anime, particularly Miyazaki's, as sci-fi. Don't we limit our experiences of these films when we label them as sci-fi?

No comments: