Thursday, November 03, 2005

Six weeks to go. . . the procrastination begins!

Right now I'm listening to random selections from the Best of Elvis Costello and thinking about things that are entirely unrelated to what I am supposed to be working on: a presentation on the non-satiric poetry of John Dryden. Ah yes. . . I used to tease those darn Americanists and their flashy literature. . . Now I wonder if it was all a big mistake. . . I could do for some Thomas Pynchon or even Hemingway right about now.

On an entirely different note, I guess there's a big to-do about the new sculpture in front of the currently being renovated Camp Randall. Some people think it looks like a phallus, others a pile of Badger doody. . . Well, have a look at an artist's rendition of this gigantic statue:



**Please note that those little round things are footballs.

I kinda like it, but I'm no art critic. I just think that it's so outlandish in a way that makes people glance askew. Isn't that the whole point of art these days?

2 comments:

Ellen Yu said...

The bumpy things are footballs? It doesn't look like a phallus symbol, but it's nothing really astounding about it. I don't know a gigantic hot dog or beer would be hilarious. It would be a lot more interesting if a human sculpture is eating said gigantic food.

A tower of footballs doesn't give the thrill of fans watching football...so in that respect this sculpture kind of sucks.

Oh well it might look better when it's done, but I still think my idea is more thrilling lol

Emily said...

Uh. .. it is complete. That's exactly what it looks like now.